Saturday 29 May 2010

ToonDoo - Creating Cartoons






















Although I haven't tried this with my class yet as I only discovered this site this moring, I think it's packed with possibilities.

There are three main options for creating a ToonDoo.
1. ToonDoo Maker - Creating an individual cartoon frame (like above) or strip of up to 3 frames.
2. Book Maker - self explainatory really!
3. TraitR - Creating your own characters to use in a book or ToonDoo.

The best part of this site is its simplicity. It's so easy to use, just drag and drop components into the frame: backgrounds, characters, props and text boxes. There is also an option for uplaoding your own pictures or drawing your own from scatch. Once finished you can save your work as a picture file (for basic pictures) or get an embedded code to use (particularly useful for books).















I can imagine using this in a variety of ways. First I think it's ideal for jazzing up whiteboard resources, a nice way to engage children with the text you have to put up. I can see myself using these to create my own 'concept cartoons' in science. 

Secondly this site would be great for the children to use themselves. My initial ideas include:
- What is a character thinking?
- Continuing a story you've read together.
- Retelling a classic story - such as fairytale or myth/legend.
- Writing their own 'comic strip' style stories.

This isn't by any means an exhaustive list and would welcome any more ideas, particularly from anyone who has tried it themselves. I can't wait to start using this!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for blogging about ToonDoo!

    Would suggest you try our education-friendly version at www.toondoospaces.com

    ToonDooSpaces has been specially created for use in the classroom environment and most educators have already adopted it. Do check it out and tell us what you think!

    thanks,
    Meera
    ToonDudette from www.toondoo.com

    ReplyDelete